Amaliehaven (English: The Amalie Garden) is a small park located between Amalienborg Palace and the waterfront in the Frederiksstaden neighbourhood of central Copenhagen, Denmark.
A relatively new park, it was established in 1983 as a gift from the A.P. Møller and the Chastine McKinney Møller Foundation.
The park is now part of the so-called Frederiksgade axis, the shorter but more distinctive of the two axes on which Frederiksstaden is centred.
Amaliehaven is located on a site where there used to be a shipyard established in 1802 by a wealthy ship-owner named Lars Larsen. The shipyard and its large lumberyard were situated right beside Amalienborg Palace and called “Larsen’s Plads” since 1821.
In 1870 the shipyard was closed and a new port terminal was established at the site. Later this terminal was relocated to the Free Port Terminal further north.
The construction of the current park started in 1981 and it was inaugurated in 1983. The garden was designed by the Belgian landscape architect Jean Delogne.
Amaliehaven is a rectangular park built to a stringent, symmetrical design centred on a large fountain to respect and accentuate the Frederiksgade axis, which unifies the entire area.
On both sides of the central fountain, the gardens continue on two levels, with shrubs and walls enclosing it from the waterfront on one side and the street on the other.
The garden abounds with different varieties of plants and fragrant flowers whose colours and natural shapes creates a contrast to the geometrical layout of the park.
Japanese cherry trees, blooming in April, plays a particularly distinctive role among the parks vegetation.
The Italian sculptor Arnaldo Pomodoro has created various sculptures for the park, including four large abstract columns and two sun-like water features, which from each their end of the park sprinkle it with jets of water.