Ørstedsparken – The Ørsted Park
Ørstedsparken is a public park in central Copenhagen, Denmark.
When Copenhagen’s old fortification ring was decommissioned in 1868, it was decided that a significant part of it should be reserved for parkland for the city’s rapidly growing population.
Ørstedsparken was inaugurated on 27 October 1879. It was a promenade park, which also included Copenhagen’s first public playground. The park still retains elements from the old fortifications in its topography — a section of the moat now serve as an elongated lake and former bastions appear in the landscape as small hills.
The park is named after the Ørsted brothers: Hans Christian Ørsted, who discovered electromagnetism by demonstrating the effect of an electric current on a magnetic needle, and Anders Sandøe Ørsted who was a lawyer and politician.
In the park there are many monuments and statues. The most important are for the Ørsted brothers.
In the park you can see Dawn Redwood, Maidenhair Tree and Pagoda Tree from China, Gleditsia from the USA, European hornbeam and Horse Chestnuts.
In March–April, Common Butterbur is blooming on the embankments of the lake, and in the large garden behind the H. C. Ørsted monument, 26,000 Dutch crocuses bloom in shades of blue, yellow and white. These were planted after World War II.
In 1991, a café pavilion was built on a site overlooking the lake. It houses Café Hacienda. There are two public playgrounds in the park, one supervised, and barbecues for public use.